The Servant Marketer
Can social media contribute to healing? The team at the University of Iowa’s Tippie College of Business says yes, and found a way to connect in a meaningful way with their audiences using social media as the connector.
Rebekah Tilley is the director of communications for the top-ranked Tippie College of Business at the University of Iowa. In that role she manages the college’s social media channels, is editor of Tippie Magazine, and serves the college in a variety of public relations efforts. Prior to joining Tippie, vividly remembers the birth of Facebook while communications director of the University of Kentucky College of Law.
In this episode:
- How marketing content can help heal
- How Tippie College of Business used social media to care for its audiences
- Finding balance when social media is your profession
- Star Wars and the dark side of social media
The Servant Marketer is a weekly podcast exploring the crossroads of Servant Leadership and the marketing profession. Each week marketing leaders, marketers, academics, entrepreneurs and creatives join host Jenny Petty to discuss how marketers can learn to serve first.
- Episode 22 - Rebekah Tilley | Social Media and Healing March 3, 2021Can social media contribute to healing? The team at the University of Iowa's Tippie College of Business says yes, and found a way to connect in a meaningful way with their audiences using social media as the connector. Rebekah Tilley is the director of communications for the top-ranked Tippie College of Business at the University of […]
- Episode 21 - Brooke B. Sellas | Comfort Marketing February 23, 2021Brooke B. Sellas is the CEO & Founder of B Squared Media, an award-winning done-for-you social media management, advertising, and customer care agency. She’s also the co-host of the top-rated Marketing Companion podcast with marketing legend Mark Schaefer. Brooke’s marketing mantra is “Think Conversation, Not Campaign” so be sure to give her a shout on […]
- Episode 20 - Using Curiosity to Serve | Seth Odell February 11, 2021Seth Odell is widely considered one of higher education’s premier enrollment marketing experts, Seth brings 15 years of education marketing experience at some of the industry's top organizations, including Southern New Hampshire University, UCLA, National University, and more.Seth’s work is Emmy Award-winning and has been heralded by the Chronicle of Higher Education as "Exhibit A […]
- Episode 19 - Massiel Abramson | The Proper Care and Feeding of Teams January 28, 2021Massiel Abramson is currently a licensed Marriage and Family Therapist practicing in the state of Connecticut. She works with infants, young children, and their parents providing attachment-based therapy along with family and individual therapy through private practice. Massiel has worked in the clinical mental health field for 8 years in different capacities, including program development, […]
- Episode 18 - Terry Flannery | How to Market a University January 13, 2021Teresa (Terry) Flannery is a higher education leader with 35 years of experience in a wide range of functions, including advancement, admissions and student affairs. She has worked at large, medium, and small institutions, both public and private.One of the leading university marketing and communication professionals in the world, recognized in 2018 as “International Brand […]
- Episode 17 - Rick Bailey | Are All Marketers Liars? December 16, 2020Rick Bailey is principal of RHB, a leading marketing and design consultancy serving higher education and related not-for-profit organizations. He brings more than 40 years of experience in not-for-profit marketing, including work in fundraising, public relations, college recruitment and marketing communications. More than 250 institutions and organizations in education, the arts, social services, healthcare, professional […]
- Episode 16 - Keith Reynold Jennings | How to Be a Servant Marketer December 9, 2020In this episode: Why CMOs have the highest turnover of any position in the C-Suite How to frame marketing work and manage expecations with non-marketers The world's shift from asynchronous to synchronous to polysynchronous communication How to apply the 10 characteristics of a Servant Leader to marketing The concept of legacy
- Episode 15 - Gary Mueller | A Visionary Servant Marketer December 2, 2020Gary is easily one of Wisconsin’s most iconic, respected and philanthropic ad men.As Executive Creative Director at BVK, his work is legendary in Wisconsin, having won every prestigious award from Canne’s Lions and One Show Pencils to CA, Clios, and Obies. He helped grow BVK from a small $30 million creative boutique to a $280 […]
- Episode 14 - Barney Abramson & Lynn Arage | #TeamAwesome Part 2 November 23, 2020Continuing our conversation with Lynn Arage and Barney Abramson, we tackle their lived experience on being people of color in the marketing profession, how they handle dumb questions about their heritage or race, turning anger or misunderstanding into curiosity, and the exciting new project they're working on. In this episode: Turning anger or misunderstanding into curiosity Barriers to […]
- Episode 14 - Barney Abramson & Lynn Arage | #TeamAwesome Part 1 November 23, 2020Barney Abramson and Lynn Arage have worked for some of the biggest brands in the world including Disney, Black & Decker, and International Game Technology. Their careers have spanned various marketing functions including event marketing, strategy, social, design, and management. But most importantly, they helped create one of the best teams to ever exist in […]