Episode 1 – Dr. Shann Ray Ferch | Servant Leadership Primer
by Jenny | Aug 25, 2020 | Servant LeadershipHow do you introduce someone to the concept of Servant Leadership without making it sound like every other pop culture style of leadership out there? As I thought about launching this podcast, I knew it was important to start with an expert, without asking listeners...
A Note on Creating
by Jenny | Aug 21, 2020 | Leadership, MarketingTo the Creators (and we’re all creators) Those who know me well, I’m kind of a grip it and rip it person. I typically don’t shy away from a challenge. In fact, my dad likes to say about me, “When things get hard, they get just right.” I’m wired to move fast, make...
The Servant Marketer
A weekly podcast that explores the crossroads of Servant Leadership and the marketing profession. Each week marketing leaders, marketers, creatives, academics, and entrepreneurs share their experiences in marketing, leadership, business, and education to develop a new generation of marketers who serve first.
In the final episode of our special series on the ten characteristics of servant leadership, we celebrate an awe-inspiring perspective of the definition of stewardship and explore leadership through an Indigenous lens.
Dr. Karla Bird of the Blackfeet Amskapi Piikani Nation and Dr. Salena Beaumont Hill of the Crow Nation discuss the Indigenous experience with leadership and community contribution. And they explain why language around stewardship matters to people when an idea like volunteerism embeds their culture.
Hear how spirituality and collective responsibility heal tribal communities and why the two women believe in the freedom of choice over the notion of following.
Join us as we discuss:
- Examining stewardship through an Indigenous lens (11:46)
- Walking the line between appropriation and understanding (24:20)
- The spirit to choose in a non-hierarchal community of equals (38:31)
- Centering indigenous education in a system that doesn’t fit (47:05)
Check out these resources we mentioned during the podcast:
- University of Montana
- Research is Ceremony: Indigenous Research Methods
- Reservation Dogs
- All My Relations
You can find this interview and many more by subscribing to The Servant Marketer on Apple Podcasts, on Spotify, or here.
The Servant Marketer is a weekly podcast exploring the crossroads of Servant Leadership and the marketing profession. Each week marketing leaders, marketers, academics, entrepreneurs and creatives join host Jenny Petty to discuss how marketers can learn to serve first.
- Dr. Karla Bird and Dr. Salena Beaumont Hill | An Indigenous Perspective of Collective Stewardship April 27, 2023In the final episode of our special series on the ten characteristics of servant leadership, we celebrate an awe-inspiring perspective of the definition of stewardship and explore leadership through an Indigenous lens. Dr. Karla Bird of the Blackfeet Amskapi Piikani Nation and Dr. Salena Beaumont Hill of the Crow Nation discuss the Indigenous experience with leadership […]
- Thomas Kemeny | Making Space to Listen March 15, 2023A key skill for any profession is listening, but in marketing, it’s necessary to cut through the noise and find compelling stories. Sometimes, we get in our own way, feeling a need to fill an empty space with our thoughts when we should make room for others instead. Thomas Kemeny, Author of Junior: Writing Your […]
- Vince Rougeau | Healing from a Place of Dignity and Understanding March 8, 2023Healing is perhaps the most ambiguous of the 10 characteristics of servant leadership. Every person processes pain differently, but it’s often the unspoken wounds we inflict on others that call for intentionality in compassion and compromise.As Vince Rougeau, President of College of the Holy Cross, advises, by taking the time to listen, you’ll often find […]
- Abnia Loriston | Growth Through Access, Diversity, Inclusion, Belonging, and Equity March 1, 2023Growth is hard no matter who you are. But for minorities and marginalized groups, the creative industries have historically not provided the same ladder to leadership that the majority has been given. Abnia Loriston, Program Director at The Creative Ladder, is working to fix that.Powered by existing creative industry players like Dionna Dorsey Calloway, David Griner […]
- Mark Mohammadpour | Ted Lasso and the Empathetic Lens February 15, 2023Empathy is an intentional aim to understand and accept the emotional perspective of others. As a core characteristic of responsible servant leaders, empathy is a bedrock of professional relationships as it drives positive communication and promotes well-being in the workplace.Mark Mohammadpour, Owner and Chief Well-Being Officer of Chasing the Sun, shares his insights on empathy […]
- Debbie Heiser | Developing Foresight February 8, 2023Not only is foresight important when projecting outcomes, but it’s critical to perceiving relationships and habits. By taking lessons from the past to heart, servant leaders can identify unsettling patterns in the present to help sculpt a brighter future.Debbie Heiser, creator and founder of Lead Your Life With Debbie Heiser, shares why she believes foresight […]
- Brad Stulberg | Awareness: Overcoming Perfection February 1, 2023Awareness, especially disciplined self-awareness, is a key leadership attribute for recognizing issues within a team. Servant leaders must constantly scan the horizon and be aware of what is around them, but also cultivate a deep understanding of themselves. Brad Stulberg, author of The Practice of Groundedness, shares his insights on how great leaders can attain self-awareness […]
- Teresa Valerio Parrot | Building Consensus Through Persuasion January 25, 2023The art of persuasion is an essential implement in every servant leader’s toolbox. Bound by truth and choice, a great persuader can bring teams to a composed consensus and move projects forward.Teresa Valerio Parrot, Principal at TVP Communications, shares her insights on how persuasion is used for good to influence and empower teams to overcome […]
- Christina Garnett | Building Authentic Communities January 18, 2023Humans naturally seek out fellowship in community, but someone has to take it upon themselves to intentionally build community through listening, empathy and advocacy.Servant leaders build community by sensing and diagnosing real issues. Christina Garnett, Principal Marketing Manager of Offline Community and Advocacy at HubSpot, shares her insights on building communities in a post-pandemic world. […]
- Jeff Kallay | Conceptualization in a Transformation Economy January 11, 2023Helping kick off our 10-part series on the characteristics of servant leadership, Jeff Kallay, Senior Vice President of Enrollment Consulting at Echo Delta, joins me to discuss conceptualization.Jeff has spent the last 16 years touring colleges and universities and auditing their campuses. In doing so, he’s helped over 300 schools elevate the student experience.In this […]